You must submit two forms of identification directly to NNAS. They must be notarized, copies of original documents (signed, dated, and stamped) complete with your signature. You must be with the notary at the time your original documents are copied and notarized as certified true copies. NNAS does not accept original identity documents.
• In Canada, notarized copies must be prepared by a notary public or a lawyer.
• Outside of Canada, notarized copies must be prepared by a government-approved official.
They must apply their official signature and seal to each reviewed document, include their address and phone number and declare in a written statement that they have seen the original documents, made the copies, can certify that they are true copies, and confirm that they are not in any way related to the applicant.
You are responsible for all fees related to preparing your notarized documents. Copies of expired identification documents will not be accepted. At least one form of identification must contain your photo and it must be current and not expired.
Acceptable forms of photo identification include:
• Driver’s licence
• Other government-issued identification
Other acceptable forms of identification include:
• Birth certificate
• Legal name change affidavit
• Marriage certificate
• Divorce decree (Decree Absolute)
If any of these original documents are written in a language other than English or French, they must be translated by a certified translator into either English or French. The translated documents must be sent to NNAS directly from the translator. You are responsible for any costs involved in the translation process.
Translations can be done in three ways:
• By an approved source agency (for example, a school or licensing authority)
• By a certified translator
• By NNAS (via CGFNS International Inc. at a cost of $85.00 per page) All translated documents must include:
• The translator’s official stamp and/or identification number, address, phone number, and the date of translation.
• A statement by the translator that it is a true representation of original document(s).
• The printed name and original signature of the translator.
NNAS will not accept documents translated by either the applicant or anyone related to the applicant. All certified translations must be mailed to NNAS directly from the translator.
NNAS will confirm that all names on your identification documents match. If they do not, you will need to send additional documents to explain why.